Monday, June 22, 2009

Nobbys Beach.

Today: Sign in a clinic :
DOCTORS
DON'T FORGET!
INTERESTING PATIENT'S

What do they have in mind? Also, misuse of the Apostrophe is not unknown and comment about this is seen in the columns of the Sydney Morning Herald and strange examples make their way into collections.
I'd be the first to admit to my uncertainty about both punctuation and expression but while I am locked in this 'zone of proximal development' (Vygotsky) and in haphazardness, I notice more points now about the written word. I believe the apostrophe is omitted from place names, for example, Nobbys Beach.

2 comments:

Hilda said...

It's a beautiful beach and your photo is wonderful!

And don't get me started on apostrophes! Or general English grammar and vocabulary, for that matter. And sign-English. And newspaper-English… ;D

Petrus said...

Well they say language is always developing and should change to suit the speakers not visa versa ..

Nobbys or Nobby's Beach is awesome , wicked but not cool ( that's dated now )

You need to practice or is it practise your grammar - it's not rocket science ( now that is a dated expression )