Friday, August 03, 2007

ULARU


Here is a frightening replica of the monolith Ularu. It serves as a roadhouse on the Pacific Highway north of Newcastle.
It was originally build by the Leyland Brothers as part of a theme park but that venture struggled and was unsuccessful. The Leyland Brothers, their wives and family were initially into outback adventure and pioneered entertaining films about their travels to remote corners of the land and probably influenced many others to take to the roads in their four wheel drives and take up camping or caravaning.

5 comments:

Gerald (SK14) said...

I would have thought some people would think it a bit tasteless having a restaurant in the image of a sacred monument.

dr. filomena said...

Oh yikes, that truly IS frightening!!! Still, thanks for sharing. Makes me appreciate the nicer creations that much more :-)

NorthBayPhoto said...

Interesting photo. I'm sure that the restaurant theme is in the bestt of intentions but some may still take offence to using a sacred monument. That's a hard decision since almost anything could be profound and important to someone else (even if it's not to us personally).

Thanks for visiting my NorthBayPhoto blog.

Anonymous said...

I think I enjoyed your story more than the photo. Very interesting.

Abraham Lincoln
Brookville Daily Photo

julia said...

I am ashamed to say I failed to realize the implications for a replica. I have a lot to learn. What's worse I don't recall this angle ever received any debate.