Wednesday, August 08, 2007

ALL IS MISTY CALM


Last week the seas were benign in Providence Bay at Bennetts Beach and the town of Hawks Nest to our north. Here's an island strangly shaped like Ularu. The rare and endangered seabird, Gould's Petrel, comes ashore to breed and does so only on Cabbage Tree Island. Several isles make up a group in a protected nature reserves set in a marine reserve.
Broughton Island has a very tiny fishing village and several years ago, my relatives and others, went there over the waves for a quiet memorial and wake for our relative, who had been a very keen fisherman, but, sadly, died of cancer and was farewelled in that special setting.

The islands are a short distance north of Yaccaba Headland photographed from inside the entrance to Port Stephens, a large harbour given over to small towns, holidays, boating, whale and dolphin watching.

8 comments:

Jenny Quld said...

Oh Julia
I love this site.
I have you on my Google reader for a daily fix!
My mum grew up in Newcastle and EVERY school holiday we went back.
My grandparents built a house in Wallarah road, New Lambton and lived in it for 52 years (I still remember the horse and cart delivering bread).
I had 3rd and 4th cousins scattered all over town, Tighes Hill-when it was so not upmarket, Elebeena, Hamilton, Floraville to name a few.
I can't believe how much New castle has changed form my childhood memories.
It is so nice to revisit when I live so far away....

julia said...

You're welcome, glad to hear of the connection. Change creeps up -even in Newcastle!. I'll see what I can continue to do as I've hardly begun to reveal the whole town. United in expat memories because I like to see your Indonesia and I am looking forward to visiting there soon - but not to Java.

Janet said...

Beautiful, misty scenes.

dr. filomena said...

Beautiful, Juia. So peaceful and mysterious...

~tanty~ said...

This is a beautiful, dramatic and a bit mysterious photo. I like it a lot!

Gerald (SK14) said...

from the thumbnail on the portal it looked a bit like a humped back whale but I see it is a lovely island.

Kalyan Panja said...

WoW...two beautifully captured shots!
Really serene & lovely.

julia said...

whale watching could be about to start. That would be more interesting.