A high flume carried water from the river to flow onto the wheel towards its top and the wheel rotated towards that point. Other designs have the wheel run in the opposite direction.
The ring gear on the outer rim of the waterwheel meshed with motion shafts and gears which transmitted power into the mill.
This was the primary source of power until 1947 when electricity was used. Reference is made to a boiler and steam power in use at some stage. The wheel is 8.53m diameter.
The gurgling water returned to the river via a tail race set deep near the foundations.