Saturday, July 04, 2009

Education, the latest industry, has hung up it's shingle outside the former offices of Newbold's Refractory in Mayfiled with a takeover by the university.

Newbold's held property in Mayfield with a Head Office and a Bowling Club and industrial plant for the making of furnace bricks or graphite refactories and crucibles, standard clay and silica firebricks and adhesives to supply industry throughout the country and for export.
Newbold came from Staffordshire and began brickmaking early in the nineteen- hundreds moving to Mayfield in 1918. The company was acquired by BHP in 1974.
Newbold was a keen gardener and his home, The Gables, in New Lambton, was a showpiece according to the Australian Dictionary of Biography Online edition.

No comments: