Near the Junction is Newcastle Grammar School, off Union Street. In the past these buildings appear to be those used by the Newcastle Teachers' College which moved into pre-fabricated aluminium units in 1952.
The College had been established at Newcastle Technical College at Broadmeadow a few years prior to that.
Before long secondary Teacher Training was introduced there and the Dip Ed and courses continued to expand and in 1961, 800 enrolments were recorded. A music block, a hall and a Library were other additions to this busy institution. Then another move was undertaken.