Friday, August 10, 2018

 Oyster shucking...pity this worker...an endless task at Sydney fish markets which were packed with hundreds of diners.  Four deep we lined up to buy plates stacked with marine life. The crowd generated an urgency.
It was as if a day in Asia, the food, the faces, the languages, the hub bub, the eager family groups and the absence of those of my own background was a taste of adventure.          
Incidentally, the food we purchased was not amazing, too many items were laced with chili powder and bravely I returned a portion of tough dry rubbery lobster tail for a substitute half wondering how I would manage when I only speak English and why was I so out of step when everyone else was ecstatic yet I managed.
 The outdoor tables were an alternative.

1 comment:

William Kendall said...

Admittedly I've got a deep aversion to seafood.